16 October, 2006

Feminists on sports?

Does anyone know offhand if there are any feminists that have specifically dealt with issues relating to sports (and I don't mean necessarily the female athletes themselves getting paid less, less airtime, less sport options, but more... an actual analysis of what makes up sports)?

I think I'm phrasing myself badly, and I'm going to hit Google after dinner. But if anyone has links at hand or articles in mind, I'd love to see 'em.

Edit: Specifically, women participating in boxing. Yay in feminist books or nay? A little of both, I imagine, though it does seem to be skewed towards yay. What about other violent sports? Mixed-gender teams? Anyone?

Plato also enters into this somewhere. And yes, I have a point, it's just getting to it that I'm having the trouble with.

5 Comments:

At 10/28/2006 08:30:00 AM, Blogger Zan said...

Might I suggest you pose this question to Kameron at http://kameronhurley.blogspot.com/

She's big into women in sports, particularly boxing and marital arts. If anyone would know, she would :)

 
At 10/29/2006 09:07:00 PM, Blogger Alex said...

Thanks! Will do. :)

 
At 11/15/2006 07:21:00 PM, Blogger belledame222 said...

I was gonna say, why Brutal Women of course! and then realized, duh, that's her new site.

 
At 11/15/2006 09:38:00 PM, Blogger Alex said...

Heh. :) I'm pretty new to the whole Blogspot/Blogger scene, so recommendations are always good!

 
At 12/06/2006 04:06:00 AM, Blogger Jennifer said...

See: http://www.geocities.com/ja2000ja/finalboxingdissertation.htm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home